The Bubble, Eytan Fox

This film is a must see. I saw it a few days after my return from Israel, (I bought it there, I don't know how easy or not it is to get here in UK). It is the story of a group of young people in the Israeli army, a group of gay boys and girls - set in Tel Aviv, around a very fantastic restaurant (which I have eaten in) called Orla and Ella, on Sheinkin Street. It demonstrates the difficulty in the situation between the palestinians and the Israelis, through the lense of a gay relationship between the main character, and a gay palestinian he meets at a checkpoint. Of course, it is sad and at times weary, but it also had the effect of making me feel (or at least remember) like a teenager again when life seemed so easy and care free. Friends in Israel have blasted the film for being biased against the palestinians, but I thought it was balanced. It is tragic, so get the hankies out for the last scenes. Eytan Fox has several other fab Israeli films, most notably Yossi and Jagger and Walk on Water.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keeping going and seeing the red in the leaves outside

Mishnah: Brachot uKlalot