anarchy in the uk

As I was growing up in the 70's and 80's this phrase was used by many of the punk bands- the UK subs, the sex pistols etc etc- but the use of this term over the last 24 hours I think really does reflect what is going on when an 11 year happy young boy (Rhys) walking home from footie is murdered in broad daylight. It defies understanding in anyway whatsoever, and I find it hard to listen to thee coverage of this story without feeling tearful and incredibly angry. The gang culture, driven by a lot of the (c)rap music that pedals obscenity, hatred and utter violence must be addressed- it isn't enough for us liberals to discuss this in the context of social deprivation etc. But what can be done? it feels like even the police are helpless. I'm so glad I grew up when I did. I had a childhood, and I feel so much for those today who have no childhood- overwhelmed with technology, drugs, and exploitative sex as children.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keeping going and seeing the red in the leaves outside

Mishnah: Brachot uKlalot