Day 2 at the Yeshiva

Today started with Shacarit, slow speed with Reb Liebo again, .... Im working myself up to starting to pray with Tefillin on Wednesday- it's not my personal preference, but Im willing to try it whilst Im here. I do find the physical sensation of the strap to be an okay part of the prayer process. Went to Mishnah and Talmud class straight afterwards, and got really into it this morning. It was Mishnah Bet from Masechet Sotah ch 7, this time aylu ne'emarim bilshon HaKodesh (these are said in the Holy Language (Hebrew in other words)- Mikra Bikurim (first fruits), Chalitza (leverite marriage), Brachot uKlalot (blessings and curses), Brachot Cohenim (priestly blessing), Brachot Cohen Gadol (blessing of the chief priest), Parshat HaMelech (portion of the king), Parshat Egla Rufah (John Doe!) and Umshuach milchamah bsha'ah she'hu medabeir el ha'am (declaration of war). I worked with Laura from Arizona again, and the Chevruta work was really good again. It was totally fascinating trying to work out what was the difference between the first Mishnah and todays - Laura and I both thought in our shuls we would never recite the Shema in anything but Hebrew - todays rituals described very odd stuff (look them up!) - but included a widow removing her brother in laws shoe and spitting at him!
This afternoon I went to the Hasidut class with Reb Pesach Schindler (what a joyous and incredible man and teacher). It has been amazing realizing that I have absolutely no issue with the hasidic ideas I heard today (radical pantheism- G-d is everywhere, in everything - in and out) and all the ideas about Kelipot. Im very happy Janet made this suggestion - the day ended with Torah Trope (not quite so successfull ;) My singing voice isnt the best and the tiny marks in the Torah make it so hard to read for the notes ... still, its fun and I paired with Marton for the class which was nice...
This evening I am tired - and looking forward to an early night and a late start (9am- go figure!) tomorrow. Im swapping my class for tomorrow B'ezrat HaShem (changing to Tanach from Torah She'bal peh which felt very technical somehow and was a killer in the after lunch slot). I spoke with Binyamin tonight- and am looking forward to seeing him and Avi on erev Shabbat! Its just lovely bein here ... Im starting to get the feeling of what it would be like living here ... Rafael, 28th June 2010
Comments